Laying the flooring is one of the most important steps in the repair process. Often, people are wondering whether it is possible to lay laminate on linoleum. According to experts, the process itself seems to be quite real, the main thing is to approach the matter correctly. In the process of laying it is necessary to rely on several important features that will help to achieve a positive result.
Why lay laminate directly on linoleum?
Most often when laying a new flooring material, the old coating is dismantled. But this decision is not always the right one. This is due to the fact that the same linoleum, which meets all the necessary building codes, can be used as the basis for a new material. Due to this, it is not necessary to buy materials for arranging the layer under the laminate.
When using linoleum as a substrate, it is not necessary to spend additional time on various processes.In particular, this applies to the installation of the depreciation layer and the leveling base. Such work is carried out in apartments where there are problems with noise insulation.
In addition, you should pay attention to such factors as heat loss indicators. If you put a new material on the old linoleum, you can easily avoid such a problem. This moment is especially important in those situations when it comes to repairs in individual low-rise buildings. Owners of apartments located on the first floor face high heat losses.
In addition, you can significantly reduce the cost of additional materials. But before you lay a new floor, make sure that the old linoleum is still suitable for use. In the presence of material breaks or severe damage, it is worth abandoning such an idea. Otherwise, problems may arise when using new flooring.
Also, linoleum must be securely attached to the concrete base. If you notice that in some places the material has moved, you need to firmly fix it.
Before you start laying, you need to thoroughly wipe the surface.
When can I leave old linoleum?
It is worth paying attention to the fact that not always laminate can be put on linoleum. In this case, you need to focus on several important factors:
- The first point is the quality of the old coating. Of course, worn and deformed linoleum in no case can not be used as a basis for installation. Especially it concerns those moments when the surface does not differ in flatness.
- In the presence of severe deformation, the old coating must be completely removed. The concrete surface on which the linoleum was laid, must be carefully polished. Experts recommend further equipping the polymer screed.
- Particular attention in this matter should be paid to the “age” of linoleum. Even if the coating is even and strong, it does not mean that the material is suitable for further repair manipulations. For example, if linoleum was released 15-20 years ago, it must be dismantled. Such an “age” suggests that the coating has long expired operational period.
4. Also note that for the manufacture of old flooring most often used fabric bases.During long-term operation, the material wears heavily.
5. The important point is the ecological side. With prolonged use under linoleum, pathogenic bacteria begin to develop. No exception is the appearance of mold and mildew. Such sanitary violations can adversely affect people’s health.
6. Particular attention should be paid to the height differences in linoleum. According to building codes, indicators should not exceed 2 mm.
7. A significant point in laying new material is the rigidity of linoleum. Soft coatings are not suitable for laminate installation.
8. If the linoleum has retained its quality and good appearance, you can safely proceed to the laying of a new material. Compliance with all standards set makes the old coating suitable for further work.